Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Old Glory

I am the flag of the United States of America. My name is Old Glory. I fly atop the world's tallest buildings. I stand watch in America's Halls of Justice, I fly majestically over great institutions of learning, and millions repeat their Pledge of Allegiance to me every day. I stand guard with the greatest military power in the world. Look up...and see me! I stand for Peace, Honor, Truth and Justice. I stand for Freedom as I stand before you today. I am confident, I am proud. When I am flown with my fellow banners, my head is a little higher, my colors a little truer. I bow to no one.

I am recognized all over the world. I am worshipped; I am saluted; I am respected; I am revered; I am loved and...I am feared! For more than 200 years, I have fought in every battle of every war; Gettysburg, Shiloh, Appomattox, San Juan Hill, the trenches of France, the Argonne Forest, Anzio, Rome, the beaches of Normandy, the jungles of Guam, Okinawa, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, in the Persian Gulf, Iraq and in scores of places, long forgotten, but not by all; not by those who were there with me.I led my soldiers... followed them. I watch over them... they love me.

I was on a small Hill in Iwo Jima, I was dirty, battle-torn and tired, but my soldiers cheered me and I was proud! I have been soiled, burned, torn and trampled on the streets of countries that I have helped to set free. It does not hurt, for I am invincible.

I have been soiled, burned, torn and trampled on streets of my own country, and when it is by those whom I have served in battle with... it hurts.

But I shall overcome for I am strong! I have slipped the bonds of earth and from my vantage point on the moon I stand watch over the uncharted new frontiers of space. I have been silent witness to all America's finest hours. But my finest hour comes when I am torn into strips as bandages for my wounded comrades on the field of battle, when I fly half-mast to honor my fallen sailors, when I lay in the trembling arms of a grieving mother at the graveside of her fallen daughter or son. That is my finest hour.
My name is "Old Glory"...Long May I Wave, Dear God. Long May I Wave!

Courtesy of: Fort Collins Public Library, Mr. Howard Schnauber, the author.

My Thoughts: Never Forget, I have a print of this on my wall over my work desk every time I get discouraged I look up and read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always welcome.